Saturday, June 02, 2007

It happens

First, I had a paper due this week for one of my college classes and I hadn't realized it, so I was up until 2 or so last night writing it. I got a C+ which is not good for a Master's level paper. But I got the paper done, so that's good. I need to do better though. I have two more papers I need to write, so I need to get off my butt and do those now, vs later. Still, I am doing better than Derek about not waiting until the last minute. Yea me!

Next, I read Karen's blog about her friend and euthanaisa. It brought back memories. Mom had a do not resucitate order on file and she had made her feelings about being on long-term life support clear. So, it was not assisted suicide, it was making a life or death decision for her. And yes, it still hurts, and I still have guilt, and sometimes, I question myself, even though I KNOW it was the right decision. And you know what, I miss her! Almost every day I think of her and what she would have said or how she would have reacted. Having Micah without Mom was really hard. She loved the Grandkids! And while she was living with us she went to a lot of their things that she had to miss while Michelle and I were growing up. I know she enjoyed that.

Lastly, we made the decision to find homes for the two small dogs, and that went well. Rufus went to his new owners last weekend. So, we had Jack. Jack, who we got as a puppy in 1997. Jack who the doctors told us was going to prone to sickness and have a shortened lifespan. Jack who had become a GREAT dog. Jack ran away on Thursday and we have not found him yet. We are all sad and upset over that. We keep looking for him and hoping. . . , but we don't think he's going to come back. Before when he got out we found him within hours, it's been days. Jack is an old dog and entirely too friendly. He's never lived outside on his own. We can only hope some nice person has found him and taken him in. He's a lovable guy and so sweet, so I can only imagine that's the case. In the meantime, we are berating ourselves for not finding a vet to microchip him, and not transferring his tags to his new collar right away. We are human and took it for granted he would always be there, but we failed him by not taking those preventative measures. For now, there will be no more dogs. We will discuss the possibility of getting another dog AFTER we move, but that's months in the future. In the meantime, I pray Jack comes back.

Derek has now scheduled his surgery for the end of June. He's not completely happy about it, but I think he is resigned. He just doesn't want the doctor to slip. Men are so sensitive about these things. Him getting fixed can't be worse than me having a baby. I mean, C'mon.

1 comment:

Thumper said...

Last August we had to pull the tubes and stuff on Mike's Dad...very, very hard. But it was definitely what he wanted, the last thing he wanted was to be kept alive when there was nothing left of him but his body. That's a gift, and it's not a thing to feel guilty about.

Missing them is what's hard. I think about his dad every day, and I know it's coming sooner rather than later with my own parents.

It bites.

Tell Derek not to worry so much,. If I can have someone with their fingers in my brain, he can have someone's finger's in...his ;)