Wednesday, October 05, 2005

10/5/05

NOTE: Mercedes and Mason's logs have been recently updated.
Only one more month of running around like a mad person, then we are done. The girls will be in swimming lessons in November, but that will be all on one day. No soccer to worry about two days a week. Plus, Derek will be finishing up his classes for the term. Thankfully!
Derek ran into some problems on one of his mid-terms, but I think he can pull it out. A B or C is not too bad, though an A would be nice. He seems to be enjoying his psychology class, at least in terms of some of the information. He is very interested in history, or at least that's how it seems. He really has a head for facts and dates. Unfortunately, there isn't much commercial value in a history degree.
Mom has been sick again. She thought it was pneumonia, but the Dr said it was only bronchitis, an ear infection, and a sinus infection. Wow! And to think, we are happy that's all it is : ) She's not doing too bad though, and seems to be ok overall. It hasn't bogged her down like the pneumonia in May did. No ambulances involved, so far. She's also been working a lot on Alexis afghan. It is going to be gorgeous! She's about ¼ of the way done now, and it really is a beautiful color and pattern. Alexis is excited, she can't wait for Grandma to finish.
Mom is also looking forward to her upcoming trip to Kansas. Granted, she HAS to go back to get her license renewed, but she also gets to spend time with friends and relax (I hope).
Alexis is doing very well overall. She misses her Mom and San Antonio, and I know it's hard for her since our rules and lifestyle are different from what she's gotten used to, but I think it's getting better. At least I hope it is. She's doing very well in school, though there was a small oops last week on one of her tests. She was not happy with that, though neither was I. We have parent-teacher conferences this week, so I will talk to the teacher about it. She's also getting ready to test for her next belt in martial arts. Wow! I guess it's been almost a month and a half since she started, though. She loves to rub it in that Uncle Derek isn't going to be testing anytime soon. She might want to be careful about that, he'll get her back. The martial arts are helping her out I think. She was saying that she has noticed that her pants are fitting looser. That could also have something to do with the braces. She went to the orthodontist this week and they changed out the brackets (?) so they are all blue and purple now. She thinks that is neat. The braces don't seem to bother her too much, which I am happy about. She's also doing well in guitar from what we can tell. She's about halfway through the first book and makes progress every week.
I was due to start my class yesterday but I took Mom to the DR instead. I am glad it was not as bad as we had thought. I don't think there will be a great deal to make up from one missed class. I have to miss class again next week though. I will be in St Louis for a Symposium from Tuesday to Friday. I am going to be staying in a decent hotel that has a restaurant overlooking the arch so I am looking forward to that. I intend to lay low and just relax. Possibly take long baths in the evenings and watch whatever I want to on TV.
We are planning a trip to one of the many haunted places this weekend. I hope the kids like it though I am a bit worried that Mercedes will flip out. She's been afraid of scary stuff so far this year. I am not sure why, but we will see. I might have to hold her the whole time. It might require me to take the friend/babysitter she loves so much. We will see. We are also going to get the girls pumpkins so they can carve them or something like that.

1 comment:

Thumper said...

Doesn't Derek already have a black belt? Or are they making him start from scratch...? (what I will do if I ever get to train again...the average 6 year old white belt has better skills than I...)