Saturday, December 08, 2007

Political Thought

Watching the news today made me shake my head and wonder, “Don’t we have better things to worry about?” And you ask, why do you say this? Well, one of the Presidential Candidates is being forced to justify his religion. I personally am a Protestant, which makes me part of a large percentage in the United States. However, being Protestant has not stopped me from making friends of other religions or other versions of my religion. Being a Protestant has not made me make decisions, but it has given me a context in which to direct my acts and choices towards what is good/right. I expect anyone who embraces a religion to depend on that religion for guidance. However, only religious zealots or fanatics try to justify all of their decisions and actions with their religious beliefs. I think the majority of people who believe in a God or Gods does not advocate that all people believe as they do. Nor do I believe that the majority of those with religious beliefs feel compelled to let their religion be their sole guiding principle in all actions. I do think that the religion we believe in has helped mold us. Almost all religions teach good concepts that are not a threat to the population as a whole. I definitely do not understand why one man’s religion justify’s an attack on him as a person or his candidacy. If I feel so threatened by his beliefs then I am not very solid in my own. If nothing else, he can’t do that much damage in four years. If he does show signs of making decisions based on what his religious leaders expect or want, we have checks and balances in place to control him, as well as the ability to NOT vote for him in the future. What really scares me is a candidate that is not honest, hardworking, or morally upright. I would rather have a person of a different color or religion that someone who can be blown by the winds of change and will lie to your face.

No comments: