Monday, April 02, 2007

And life just gets more interesting

Well, last week was interesting. I found out that I am on the VML (Vulnerable to Move List) for Fall 2007. Wait a second, weren’t we moving in Spring 2008, then they moved us to Spring 2009? What’s going on here? Well, it appears that since we arrived in August 2003, they feel that I have been here long enough, so I need to move for the good of my career. We are not upset by this, just a bit shocked. Nowhere in our short-mid term plans was a 2007 move planned. We were not expecting it, so had not made plans. We are not upset though, if anything, the timing works for Derek. He will graduate in August and rather than having to get a job right away, he will work on getting us ready to move. The hope is that he will get a job after we arrive at the new base, wherever that may be. I did go in and change my bases of preference. I took Texas off since we want to retire there and this will not be a retirement assignment for me. I have had a call from an Agency in Virginia wanting to discuss a job. I am still hoping for the AF Academy, though that is not looking bright. I have Hawaii down, so maybe we will get lucky : )
That was our big news. In other news, Derek got two A’s and one B last term, so that was good. I am still waiting for the instructor to grade my research paper and Final from my second class, so no news there. Derek started the new term last week and is already complaining about the reading : ) I am working on my research paper for this class and hoping to pass since I failed the first quiz (miserably). I am not starting any classes this month which is probably for the best. I need to a breather from papers during maternity leave.
I have “scheduled” the surgery to “get fixed”, so that’s good. Micah has been pretty active and the signs of impending delivery are starting to appear. I think he’s dropped, among other things. I’m trying to stay active so that I don’t think about it too much. That’s when I notice every little twinge.
I am mostly caught up at work now, which is also good, especially since I have become a complete ditz. Between the baby and the assignment, my mind is not focusing. I also have two new guys that I have been working on getting up to speed. Unfortunately, I am not the most organized person in this regard. We have so few people transition in that there is not a set spiel like most places have. I am muddling through it, though.
We broke down and got a new lawn swing and a new lawn mower this weekend. Our old swing was falling apart and the fabric top had been torn to shred by the winter winds, so we found one that was within our budget and got it. The mower we’ve had for three or four years also decided to flake out, so we found one that fit our needs and budget as well. I hate not being able to get the old one fixed, but from past experience, once you start having major maintenance done, it snowballs and by the end of the summer you’ve spent enough in maintenance costs to buy a new mower. Hopefully this one will last longer for us. Derek is going to try it out this week and see how it does.
That’s about it for us. We ran around with the kids ALL weekend, so we are pretty worn out. I am still bowling on my league, so that takes up one night a week. Derek and the girls have martial arts which keeps them busy and the girls are going to start softball in a few weeks which will add to the chaos : )

2 comments:

Thumper said...

Fingers crossed you get the academy. Mike tried for most of his career to get there, but it never happened. One of the few disappointments of his 20 years...I really wanted to go there.

Christina said...

Good luck that you end up where you want to go! I hope that things go smoothly for you and your crew! :)