Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Reasons to like/hate the military

Reasons to Love being in the Military1.) You get to live in interesting places (Germany, Japan, Australia,England, Italy)2.) You get to move after a couple of years3.) If you don't like your supervisor, wait a year or two and you'llhave a new one4.) Making new friends5.) Unique and interesting jobs6.) You don't have to live at home with your parents7.) Guaranteed healthcare and paycheck8.) College tuition paid in full9.) You don't have to figure out what to wear every day10.) All Federal Holidays off11.) Retire after 20 years with a paycheck
Downside to Military Life1.) Long deployments2.) You have to leave your friends3.) You have to move every couple of years4.) You can't quit5.) Early hours6.) Assignments to Korea7.) Long duty hours8.) Inspections9.) Rules for EVERYTHING10.) Congressman decide our pay
Ok, these aren't inclusive, and they are purely my opinion, but I had towork to get some of the downsides. If you have any suggestions, let meknow and I will add them.
We are now fully ready for Halloween, Oh, except for the flower forMercedes costume. Instead of a bride (no veils), we got her a black,cream, and gold cat mask. It matches the dress pretty well, so I thinkshe will look cute, and original. Alexis got the makeup and jewelry forher Burgundy slayer outfit, so she's happy. I am not even going toattempt make-up for Mason with his Itsy Bitsy Spider costume. He'd bethe Itsy Bitsy blob.
Derek invited the neighbors over last night for brisket. I think it wasa nice night and went well. The kids seemed to have fun, though theyended the night yelling and jumping on one of the beds. The food waspretty good, particularly the sugar cookies. There is something reallyaddictive about sugar cookies, you know? The house still looks prettygood too. We got it to the point of being presentable over the weekend,and it does look pretty good. Mason's room is destroyed though. Andours is in desperate need of help. I am going to work on that thisweek. There are boxes that still need to be emptied, so I am going toTRY to do that.
Tonight is my bowling night. Yea?! I am already beat, so there is nottelling how I am going to be by this evening. I have a conference to goto for the next three days, too, so that ought to be fun. No rest forthe wicked I suppose.
Tomorrow is the official 12 week point for Baby number 3 (8). Sigh - Iam having the usual anxiety. Why am I not feeling disgustingly sick?Did I lose the baby again? Why are my symptoms not the same as theywere yesterday? Was that a pain in my abdomen? I really try not tostress, but I don't do so well with that most days.
Derek is doing better with school, though he's still having troublegetting motivated to study like he should. Maybe after the XMAS breakthings will be better. We aren't planning to travel anywhere, so wewon't be stressed about that. He should be able to relax a bit, and bythat time, maybe his leg will be doing better. I think he's pretty muchdecided to hold off from the neck surgery for a while since the kneesurgery has really been a bear to work through.

1 comment:

Thumper said...

I can add a couple of downsides...

--Health care is no longer guaranteed, because TriCare might decide what you have isn't worth paying for, so you;re screwed.

--You can get shot at. A lot.

--they'll move you even if you have a valid reason for staying put, even if your CO says you need to stay...and then they have to pay to move you back 2 years later when you retire...causing you to miss out on 2 of the last 4 years of your dad's life... (think I'm bitter? Oh, I am...)