Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I realize that I have not been my usual chatty self lately, but I have a good reason. Mom is in the hospital, seriously ill, so my time and energy have been focused elsewhere.

For those of you that know Mom, she had an abdominal blockage that required surgery. That was not the real problem. THe problem seems to have been surgery. They couldn't just fo a local, she had to have general anethesia which is particularly dangerous for someone with frail health. She came out of surgery and was talking and ok, but that night she started having breathing problems and her blood pressure dropped dangerously low.

That was last Monday, it's now Wednesday of the next week. She's been on a ventilator since then and a series of medication for blood pressure, water retention, blood surgar and a couple of other things. Her kidneys were not working well, so they started her on dialasys on Monday and she is now on dau three. It is helping, but she is still very puffy and they are keeping her sedated. Another cmplication is that it appears that Mom has some cirrhosis of the liver. The tests should be back in the next few days.

The nurse I spoke with last night seemed to think that the dialysis would jumpstart Mom's kidneys which is what needs to happen. I am not sure where we go from there since the focus is the kidney function right now.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I am sorry to hear about your Mom having all of these problems. Hopefully it will work out well, but atleast she has good doctors looking after her. How are the kids doing with all of this? How are you doing? We will keep you in our prayers.

Thumper said...

Oh man, I have fingers and toes crossed and am thinking good thoghts for her.

Be sure you take care of yourself, too...